eMeter, a Siemens Business, turns meter data into useful information to help utilities and their customers make smarter energy decisions. The company develops metering software used by utilities to collect and monitor customer usage data. With this information, utilities can improve customer satisfaction, reduce distribution cost, and collaborate with consumers saving electricity, natural gas, and water.
Need / Challenge
In a rapidly-evolving market, the Global Technical Services division of eMeter’s Training Services organization needed to set up and integrate a learning management system within their organization. Being understaffed and relatively inexperienced in instructional design and training, eMeter asked Clarity for help in:
- Developing new external training curricula for its clients. A “PM Fundamentals” interactive training course with job aids and reference sheets of sufficient quality to be a revenue source for the company. This would accompany eMeter’s software product as an implementation guide.
- Converting existing, outdated media into dynamic, web-based training content for partners and customers that could also serve eMeter employees. eMeter needed a Consultant who could add value as a project manager and thought leader from concept to implementation. Someone highly flexible with outstanding interpersonal skills who could function as an integrated member of the team in brainstorming, troubleshooting, and participating in discussions in a dynamic situation while under pressure.
Solution: What Clarity Did
Clarity’s consultant was a seasoned, local Project Lead and Senior eLearning Developer who could work offsite and still be available for meetings at eMeter as needed. An experienced professional at training, Instructional Design, learning management systems, and consulting on enterprise-wide applications including SAP, Oracle and similar applications, the consultant could help eMeter in executing the tasks at hand while also aiding them in anticipating and overcoming implementation hurdles.
The engagement lasted several months, and as priorities shifted and needs changed, it was extended repeatedly at the customer’s request. The consultant took on additional work in process consultation and troubleshooting, acting throughout as a team member with the same investment in the success as all her colleagues.
Results: The Outcomes
Clarity’s consultant produced training media that eMeter could deploy in a modular format for a range of audiences, targeting learners by their role at the company. For example, technicians from eMeter’s clients would take a three day version of the training course, while management would attend a two-day version, using everyone’s time as effectively as possible. The development process proceeded with changes but no significant delays. The consultant adapted her focus as eMeter needed, collaborating to deliver the best value as was required. The scope of work was expanded at the client’s request so the consultant could assist with configuring the hosted, web-based learning management system.
Clarity enabled the client to:
- Develop new external training curricula for its clients
- Overcome LMS implementation hurdles
- Convert outdated media into current web-based training